POTCO Commercial

Bobby Flat Foot

Pirate Lord
Why don't they do advertising like this anymore? I remember seeing this commercial all the time on Cartoonetwork. I think it might even of been what started me playing! This video is from about 2009. It even shows a glimpse of the old Port Royal. This would really help them nowadays... Thats all a lot of people do, watch tv...

It all comes down to $ money $ ... me hearties! :mad:
You see, Disney Interactive Media Group (the business division responsible for 'POTCO') has been struggling bad these past few years. As I understand it, DIMG has been plagued by employment layoffs (i.e., people are losing their jobs) to the point to where gaming efforts like POTCO have been allowed to continue while being maintained by a skeleton crew.
:skullpeak:
In my opinion, this is why you don't see:
  • Advertising (it costs too much)
  • Game Cards (while convenient for us players, I doubt if they remain cost effective for Disney in long run)
  • NO customer support (as result of those whom lost their jobs)
  • A general lack of new POTCO game content/improvement
PLEASE take a "peek" at these 2 articles I found & you will understand:
  1. DIMG's 2013 "Turnaround Plan"
http://paidcontent.org/2011/02/18/419-disney-interactive-promises-profitability-in-2013/
  1. DIMG's May 2011 article of "Second Round of Layoffs"
http://paidcontent.org/2011/03/14/419-disney-interactive-cuts-staff-by-another-2-percent-in-second-layoff-rou/
IN SUMMARY, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?
Well, those in charge of the business success of DIMG are focusing on making the division profitable once again. They have been struggling lately & currently, they are attempting to do this with less expenses & less "resources" (meaning people).
*One other thing to keep in mind. IF you take the time to read this other article included below, you will discover that DIMG is focusing a lot of it's efforts on "social media" games as opposed to virtual online.
Sadly, whenever I am able to discover anything "virtual" pertaining to DIMG, the only name which continually comes up is CLUB PENGUIN ( & not Pirates of the Caribbean Online). :(

Thanks for making these issues even clearer to us, Shamus. I don't want to simply assume, but couldn't they get the needed resources if they banded together and made some presentations and proved to the higher-ups why keeping POTCO is very benefitial to them as a company? I know that most people here already have great ideas and we all know that POTCO has many more opportunities for making money and rising as a popular virtual game. They act like they are an old Gameboy game that cant keep up with the rapidly changing media culture. Its a shame. :(

They do a ton for club penguin they advertise for them and everything! Look at the party they have going on right now, TWO shake it up stars are playing club penguin. They even put a song on iTunes!!!

In a way, i started playing because of a commercial... Disney owns so many channels (including ABC and ESPN), I dont think its because of money but game quality. They can advertise it a lot but once players try it and then quit or dont subscribe because the game isnt worth it, the advertisement gets known as a false advertisment (bad word choice there) or the tv advertisement becomes kind of not worth the price and time of putting it on TV when some candy commercial would pay hundreds of thousands for that minute commercial...

I started when I first saw the commercial and also the advertisement on the Dead Man's Chest DVD.
Shamus The Brute So to me when I read the second article (I did read all 3 btw) that they're going to stop focusing on Pirates, Pixies, and Toons and focus more on the Penguins? (Thus cutting/shutting down Pirates all together?) I mean seriously why make "facebook/social media games" when they have a massive audience of Pirates anxiously waiting for bug fixes, and new content etc? (Not to leave the Pixies and Toons out. I hope they both do well in "these times".) :fight:

PLEASE take a "peek" at these 2 articles I found & you will understand:
  1. DIMG's 2013 "Turnaround Plan"
http://paidcontent.org/2011/02/18/419-disney-interactive-promises-profitability-in-2013/

1. DIMG's May 2011 article of "Second Round of Layoffs"
http://paidcontent.org/2011/03/14/419-disney-interactive-cuts-staff-by-another-2-percent-in-second-layoff-rou/

IN SUMMARY, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?
Well, those in charge of the business success of DIMG are focusing on making the division profitable once again. They have been struggling lately & currently, they are attempting to do this with less expenses & less "resources" (meaning people).
*One other thing to keep in mind. IF you take the time to read this other article included below, you will discover that DIMG is focusing a lot of it's efforts on "social media" games as opposed to virtual online.
Sadly, whenever I am able to discover anything "virtual" pertaining to DIMG, the only name which continually comes up is CLUB PENGUIN ( & not Pirates of the Caribbean Online). :(
From a business point of view, they are trying to save money and make more money with their products. Thats the whole point of firing people which based on that source it was at 7%.

The goals of Disney to make DIMG profitable were set since firing the first DIMG president. That doesn't necessarily mean using less resources. The layoffs they made were kind of like a sacrifice. DIMG has always had the least income and most expenses when put in an expense/income ratio among other Disney divisions.

There was good news in those articles as well. A big part of it being that their focus is shifting from console to online gaming. That includes POTCO so you could expect a turnaround in all their online games.

In a way, i started playing because of a commercial...

I DID start playing POTCO because of a commercial; the exact one shown by Bobby within video. ;)And yet, "another" reason why you probably won't see too many commercials advertising POTCO this summer. :sad1:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/04/disney-interactive-group-lays-off-10-employees.html

The article above is dated April 3rd, 2012 (Note: the DIMG 'game publishing' team is responsible for the marketing & production of the gaming group [1]).

Footnote [1]
Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/26/business/la-fi-ct-disney-interactive-20110126

Last edited by a moderator:
I DID start playing POTCO because of a commercial; the exact one shown by Bobby within video. ;)And yet, "another" reason why you probably won't see too many commercials advertising POTCO this summer. :sad1:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/04/disney-interactive-group-lays-off-10-employees.html

The article above is dated April 3rd, 2012 (Note: the DIMG 'game publishing' team is responsible for the marketing & production of the gaming group [1]).

Footnote [1]
Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/26/business/la-fi-ct-disney-interactive-20110126

What is this about Shamus The Brute Coz i do not get it lol. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
this may be a stupid question but couldn't they put there commercial on Disney channel for free? or are commercials controlled by your t.v. provider?

this may be a stupid question but couldn't they put there commercial on Disney channel for free? or are commercials controlled by your t.v. provider?
Commercials are controlled by the TV channel, the companies pay the stations to have their commercials shown on TV. So, Disney could show it for free if they wanted to, I'd imagine.

Commercials are controlled by the TV channel, the companies pay the stations to have their commercials shown on TV. So, Disney could show it for free if they wanted to, I'd imagine.
That is correct. Not just Disney channel but any disney own channel(which is a lot) but that does come at the expense of not allowing some other company that could pay hundreds of thousands for that 30 seconds to be shown over a short period such as a week or a month... So no loss is being made but would you rather show a free comercial or win $300,000 in a month?

Back