Pirates 2 scene tested on Mythbusters

Etar1pAI

Honorable Pirate
Did anyone else happen to catch the POTC round 2 special on Mythbusters? They were attempting the scene in Pirates 2 where the crews are in the bone cages and swing back and forth grab the vines and climb the cliff face. Hopefully this isn't old news. I can't find the full episode but here's the after show video that has some clips of them swinging and climbing... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-swinging-pirates-aftershow.html

Basically they found...
Part 1: Swinging the bone cage with like six people back and forth far enough to reach the cliff face...busted. They could only get the cage to swing about five feet each direction, they could maintain that, but not gain more momentum to get any farther. Here's part of the swinging clip... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-a-very-strange-dance.html

Part 2: Grabing the vines on the cliff face...Plausible. They had four guys pull them way back, and after several tries were able to swing and grab the net which they had in place of the vines. This part is about 3 minutes into the top video.

Part 3: Climbing the cliff face with six people in the cage...Plausible. Adam was sure they wouldn't be able to make it. But they climbed two stories with six people from within the cage. This part is about 3:30 in the top video.

Interesting at least (but they wouldn't have escaped...at least that way).

~Etar1pAI

I love Mythbusters normally but this episode wasn't that good. Adam also said if he was a pirate, his name would be "Barba Osa" (not Barbossa) So I lost a little respect for him for a minute lol Thanks for posting though, love those guys. Jamie really needs to set a trap for that thing on his face :confused:

I love Mythbusters normally but this episode wasn't that good. Adam also said if he was a pirate, his name would be "Barba Osa" (not Barbossa) So I lost a little respect for him for a minute lol Thanks for posting though, love those guys. Jamie really needs to set a trap for that thing on his face :confused:
He was referring to Barbarossa, or Red Beard, who was a famous corsair in the Mediterranean around the 1500s.

Too bad not all of the myth was true... but that's pretty awesome that they managed to climb up the vines. ^_^

He was referring to Barbarossa, or Red Beard, who was a famous corsair in the Mediterranean around the 1500s.

Too bad not all of the myth was true... but that's pretty awesome that they managed to climb up the vines. ^_^
I KNOW WHO HE MEANT LOL It's the way he says Barbossa's name that is strange.

Back