Forces of Good and Evil

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
Hey, guys! I know it must be frustrating to keep up with my new stories a lot. :p I've recently been thinking and I've always wanted to do a story like this one. Hope you enjoy!

Prologue

Derek was tired. Today, he was chased by his class bullies around the playground which ended in a brutal destruction of his backpack. Then, as he was walking home, a car exploded right next to him. That wasn't the weirdest, though. As he reached his home, he noticed three teens dancing in the road. He sighed. I guess that's just the logic of people today, he thought. He put his hand in his pocket to take out the key to the house only to find it wasn't there. He sighed again and reached into his other pocket to grab his cell phone; then, again, it wasn't there.

Even though he was sure something wasn't right, he shook the thought away and walked to the front door. He usually picked the lock there to get in and found it was an effective way to get in without a key. Then, as his line of sight reached the door, he was surprised to see the door already open. He could see many colors inside, so he wasn't sure whether he was going delusional. He walked through the door and saw he wasn't delusional. There were banners all around, confetti on the ground, and dessert on tables.

"Congratulations, Derek!" His mother came from the kitchen and hugged him. She smothered him with kisses until he pushed her away. "Wait. Congratulations for what?" She looked surprised. "Why, you get your powers today, silly!" Derek remembered now. "Oh," he said half-heartedly. He would actually be pretty excited, except for one fact: everyone else in his class also has superpowers. Including the bullies. But, at least that answered why the strange things happened today on his way home.

They had a good celebration. There was chocolate fudge cake, his personal favorite type of cake. There were also cupcakes, potato chips, his favorite movies, new video games, and even more. Even after all that, he still couldn't fathom what the bullies would do to him now that he was on their level. He thought about flying into their stomachs brutally, but dismissed the idea as that would probably kill them.

Afterwards, it was time for bed. Derek was glad to finally get some sleep after everything that went on. He would've stayed glad, too. Then, the dreams came. He dreamed of suffering, pain, sadness, anger, and all other negative emotions. Then, he woke up from his night terror and found, to his relief, that it was 7:02; just in time to get ready for school. Even with the bullies, he was glad his night terror was over. He got on his bicycle, then started to bike to his school. Then, six pedals away from his home, he stopped.

Wait, he thought. I have powers now. I can fly! He got off his bike and pushed it back to his driveway. He took a deep breath, then concentrated deeply on flying. Finally, he jumped and kept his eyes closed. Then, he felt something amazing. He didn't feel himself touch the ground. He felt the wind, the air carrying him. He opened his eyes and found he was flying! He smiled, then leaned forward and started flying towards the school.

Karmanian High wasn't exactly the best place to go for a peaceful school. When Derek entered, he found the usual chaos. Textbooks being thrown everywhere, bullies pushing kids into lockers, bullies giving kids wedgies, and all other chaos you can think of. He walked through the mess, absent-mindedly, then bumped into a bully. It was Frank McGrath, the biggest bully in the school. He turned around and looked Derek in the eye. "Oh, it's Der-ick again, huh?" The posse behind him laughed along with him. Derek stared at him and said, "I'm not afraid of you anymore, Frank. I've got my powers."

Frank looked at his posse. "Powers...you hear that, guys? He has powers! We're all so scared!" They laughed, with Derek still looking at Frank sternly. "I could give you proof, you know? You've been pushing people around for too long." Frank looked him in the eye again. "And, what are you gonna do about it, you fatherless freak?" That did it. Derek finally snapped. No one talked about his dead father in a mocking way and got away with it.

He kicked Frank into a locker and smashed the door into his face. Kids around whispered, "Oooh." Frank, angry, and red in the face, kicked the door off the locker and stepped out. "You messed with the wrong guy, Kington." He punched Derek in the face and sent him into the wall. "How you feeling now, you geekhead?" He kicked Derek and laughed.

Derek wasn't going to be pushed around anymore. It was time to stand up for himself.

Chapter 1: School Skirmish

Derek felt his face. He could feel a wound on his cheek. It enraged himself to think he ever let Frank push him around. He jumped up and kicked Frank into a wall. Then, he back-flipped onto a locker and kicked off of it and into Frank. Frank grunted in pain and fell on his back. Then, his eyes started glowing red. Beams shot out of his eyes and pierced Derek's shoulders.

Derek was immobilized. Frank laughed and walked towards Derek. "Now, do you understand why you're a geekhead...fatherless freak?" Derek was very enraged now. "Don't....you...dare...EVER...CALL....ME..." Frank widened his eyes. Derek was rising up and his eyes glowed yellow. "Urrrr.....AAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHH!!" He pointed his hands at Frank and shot a blast at the dazed bully, putting him on his back yet again.

Everyone was screaming and panicking. Frank's posse came up and tried to take Derek down, only to be pushed back by an invisible aura. The aura made a blast and sent them flying into lockers. The principal came out of her office and gasped at the sight. "DEREK?!" She couldn't get close, however. The aura was just too powerful and sent her flying back.

Then, Derek had flashbacks about his father and how he died fighting a mysterious man who was portrayed with red eyes in Derek's mind. Derek finally calmed down and floated back to the ground. He coughed three times, then collapsed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So...this is the son of the Protector of the World..." Another voice spoke. "Only according to your vision, Your Greatness." The original voice spoke again. "Hmm...and, he is the one who is said to be the one chosen by the spirit of light?" The other voice nodded. "Apparently so, Your Greatness. His power may even exceed the Protector of the World's own."

"What is the boy's name?" The second voice humbly spoke again, "Derek, Your Greatness."

"Derek.."

Derek woke up again, in the emergency room. His mother and his best friend, Calvin were there. "Ugh....m-mom?...Calvin?...." His mother hugged him tight. "Oh, honey, I'm so relieved that you're okay!" Calvin sighed. "Thank goodness." A doctor walked up to his mother. "He should be fine. Just sign your name and address right..." He pointed at a line with his pen, then gave it to his mother. His mother signed, 'Gracie Kington, 53 Ashbeck Road, Delkust, Quarterone'. "There you go." She gave the paper back to the doctor and turned back to Derek.

"I'll be back, sweetie. I just need to get some snacks for you from the vending machine." She walked outside of the room and Calvin started talking. "Hey, dude...when you're better, will you still feel like biking next to the river?" Derek smiled. "Of course! Why wouldn't I?" Derek had always liked biking next to the river with Calvin, mostly because he loved biking. Just because he had flying powers didn't mean he had to pass up the chance to bike next to the river.

Calvin was obviously relieved. He said, "YES!" out loud and ran around the room. Then, he stopped. "Oh, yeah, on a completely unrelated note, Frank's also in the emergency room in even worse condition!" Derek laughed. At least he knew Frank got what he deserved. Calvin left and Derek closed his eyes again.

Then, Derek heard something like electricity crackling. He looked at the window, but nothing was there. Not even a storm. Still suspicious, he fell asleep again unaware of the man right outside of the window with red eyes, looking at Derek.

Bloody ... :eek:, but cool! You said you had been wanting to write a story like this? A bloody story of revenge? Or an overall action story (which the appearance of blood is sometimes inevitable)?

You may want to put a "disclaimer" up front - Rated M - for Violence and Bloody content? ;)
But overall, it's engaging! Great job!

Chapter 2: Evil Affairs

Derek had woken up from a great sleep. Two days before, he was in the emergency room. However, within that time, he had miraculously recovered faster than anyone had expected. He remembered when his mother brought him his favorite snack: salt and vinegar potato chips. It had helped him cheer up more than once throughout his life. When he was walking out of the hospital, he was still having memories of his father, who had died years before. Surprisingly to his mother, Derek turned to her and asked, "Mom, will I ever lose you?" She was taken aback by this sudden question. She cleared her throat and said, "Honey, you won't lose me. If I ever do die, remember I'm right..." She touched the area where the heart is and said, "...there."

Derek had remembered that time. His mother's answer wasn't the answer he had expected. It didn't reassure him to think that his mom would die and the only way he would ever have her was in his heart. Nevertheless, he went through the same day at school. Chaos in the hallways, constant disruptions in class, and a food fight in the cafeteria. There was a huge difference in this "same" day, however. Ever since Derek's outbreak of power, everyone was making sure to stay away from him, except Calvin. Even Frank was too scared to go near Derek. Normally, Derek would be proud of Frank being scared, but in this case, not so much.

After his day at school, he had taken his bike outside of the garage and rode it to Calvin's house. On the way, he saw little kids running with their dogs in costumes on sidewalks, dreaming of the day they would get powers. Normally, humans would get powers at age thirteen and lose them at age twenty. He couldn't remember clearly, but he remembered the man his father fought was using powers. But, how? Everyone should lose their powers at age twenty. Derek shook his head and disregarded the thought. He just wanted to have a peaceful day.

As Derek arrived at Calvin's house, Calvin was already waiting with his bike. "Where were you? You were taking forever!" Derek sighed. "I got here a minute later than our scheduled arrival time. How is that forever?" Calvin laughed. "You know time is slow for me." Derek shrugged and said, "So, wanna start biking?" Calvin nodded. "Yep! You bet!" Calvin rode off in the direction of the river, followed by Derek. Derek biked alongside Calvin and asked, "Is Frank back yet? Didn't see him in school today." Calvin chuckled. "That's actually a funny story. He got so scared of you, he transferred to a different school."

Derek was happy that at least one thing he did was positive. "I really need to keep my powers under control. I could have killed somebody." Calvin shrugged. "Your powers actually seem kind of mysterious to me. I've seen powers, but never anything like that. My mom actually said you seemed special." Derek was confused. "Really?" Calvin turned his head a bit and said, "Did I mention my mom is fifty? I mean, sure, it may be true, but she might be going senile." Derek laughed. "I'm pretty sure people don't go senile at age fifty." Calvin turned his head back forward. "Yeah, I suppose."

Once they had arrived at the riverside, they dismounted their bikes and stopped for a minute to eat. When Derek had opened his brown bag, he brought out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while Calvin had brought a fried chicken leg. As they started eating their lunch, Derek noticed a shadow...in the water. "Uh...what's that?" Calvin looked where Derek was looking. "There's nothing there. You're probably going nuts or something." Derek was confused. "But, it was there a sec--"

"Greetings...chosen one." Derek jumped up and turned around. He saw a shadowy man with red eyes in front of him. "WAH!! W-W-W-WHO ARE YOU?!" The man simply stared. "You will learn soon enough who I am. As for you, however, I am afraid your light is one that is destined to go out. You might put an end to my plans, so that is why I must put an end to you." Calvin was also speechless. However, he snapped out of it and stepped in front of Derek. "You want him?! You'll have to get through me!" The man laughed. "Fair enough." The man held out his hand and waved it to the side. Calvin screamed as he was thrown to the side like a doll.

"According to the writing in the Book of Secrets...'He who would reveal our obscure darkness and destroy it...must die'!"

What the? It posted the chapter twice. BUUUUUG, NOOOOO. Lulz, please fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chapter 3: Sacrifice

Gracie Kington, Derek's mother, was in bed early today. She had worked a night shift at the Specialsurance corporate building signing paperwork and taking calls for extra money. Her dream was peaceful and serene. She dreamed that Derek was a baby and that he was walking for the first time. Derek's father, Jason Kington, was laughing and played peek-a-boo with Derek, who also laughed. Gracie looked on, smiling, and even shed a tear in bed remembering her husband. He had been a good man and strangely kept his powers growing up. He constantly used his powers to keep order and punished kids, teens, or young grown-ups without hurting them too much. Eventually, people started calling him the Protector of the World and they built a statue at the center of the city in his name. Whenever Jason wasn't saving the city or world, he was home spending time with his family. Gracie missed those times. Her dream changed very suddenly, however, to a very unpleasant dream. It was Derek next to the river, being choked by the man that had killed Jason. Then, she heard his voice.

"Mom! Help me!" Gracie took a quick breath as she woke with a start. It was about 9:30. Derek should be back by now, thought Gracie. She got up and walked to his bedroom door. She slowly pushed open the door and found Derek's bed empty. She gasped in horror, realizing where he was. She ran downstairs and looked around the kitchen. "Derek?" She found nothing and moved on to the living room. "Derek?" Still, she found nothing. "Oh, no..." She took her coat off the rack and remembered something Jason had given her a long time ago. She took a look at the locket he gave her. She remembered exactly what he said. "If Derek is ever in danger, use this. Open it in front of the danger and it will automatically disappear and go somewhere else...but, it does use some of your life force for its magic."

"Urghh...*koff*w-what....do...you...*koff*...want?" said Derek through a choked neck. The man gazed at him. "Your life. You are the boy that was prophesied by my early ancestors. It was said you would rid the world of our darkness...which would ensure the ruination of our plans. You must not live or the work of my ancestors and descendants will be in vain. That is the reason that your father died...by my hand. He was too much of a threat."

"You...*koff*...you did...what?!" Derek was almost out of breath. Any longer and he would be dead. "And, now..." The man raised his arm into the air and a black glow came from his hands. "I will permanently destroy all obstacles in my way!" Then, he heard a voice. "STOP!" Gracie came running with the locket in hand. "You?!" yelled the man. Gracie opened the locket and held it in front of the man. "Gragh!" cried the man. "Urgh...ragh!!...your pitiful locket's magic has no effect on me! I am too powerful!"

He smacked Gracie into the ground and left her almost dead. Derek ran to Gracie. "M-Mom?!" Gracie looked at Derek. "Derek...my sweet...sweet...boy..." She put her hand on his cheek. "Don't...don't worry...it'll be fine..." Derek shed a tear. "Mom! No! You can't die!" Gracie smiled. "You won't...be...alone..." Derek shook his head. "Mom! No! You're the only family I have left!" He started crying completely now. "Listen...honey...sweetie...look at...the sculpture...your father...made...for..." She started closing her eyes.

"Remember...I'm...right...there..." She pointed her finger at Derek's heart one more time and closed her eyes. Derek was silent. "...Mom?..Mom?!....MOOM!!! No...NO! DON'T LEAVE ME! YOU CAN'T! MOOOM!!! MOM!!! MOOOOM!!!!!!" The man behind him sighed. "Hmph. Sentimental fool. Sacrificing herself to save her child. And, yet...thanks to her, the boy lives." Derek started shaking in anger. "You...you...did this...and you...DON'T EVEN CARE! YOU'RE AN EMOTIONLESS :cursing: THAT CARES NOTHING FOR LIFE!" His eyes glowed yellow. "AND, I WON'T ALLOW YOU TO GET AWAY WITH THIS!"

"Fool...you are really challenging me? If your father couldn't defeat me, how could you?" The man teleported in front of the furious Derek and gripped his shoulders tightly. Derek felt his power decreasing. "W...What?" The man laughed. "You were a fool to think you stood a chance against me." Suddenly, Derek felt dizzy. He fell to the ground, unconscious.

If anyone found the reference, I will reward you with a bottle of rum.Chapter 4: Captured

Derek felt dizzy. He didn't know where he was, but he didn't wanna open his eyes. He felt like letting life take him. He had been tortured enough. Then, he remembered his mother. She died for me, thought Derek. Enraged, he tried to stand up but fell again. He opened his eyes and saw he was tied to chains that held him to the ground.

"Well, look who's awake." Derek recognized that voice. It made him angrier. "You!! You killed my mother!" The man showed no remorse in his reply. "She would have met her time sooner or later. It was no crime." Derek felt like a wild animal, desperate to catch its prey. He wanted to see the man suffer and he was sure that no one would blame him for his desire.

"You should be lucky you're still alive, boy. Most of my enemies, I'd kill." Derek retained his angry expression. "I'm thrilled. That means I still have a chance to break your bones." The man laughed. "Don't even entertain any notions of escaping me, boy. Your attempt would be futile. In the end, your power will belong to me forever."

"In the end? What stops you from doing it now?" If Derek was to die, he at least wanted to know the man's plans. "Well," said the man, "--in order to do so, I must first acquire the spirit of light's essence." Derek was confused. "The spirit of light?" The man laughed again. "The spirit of light, also known as Decursia, was the spirit who was said to have given us powers a long time ago. However, many years later, people dismissed the idea as a myth and forgot about her ever since."

Derek was getting dizzy all of a sudden. "Why...Decursia..." The man spoke again. "Why did she disappear? Simple. The men of this world were afraid of her power and also wanted it for themselves. So, they locked her up in a cursed prison beyond our dimension and tried to drain her power. However, everyone has failed. Which is why I need you...the one chosen by Decursia. You are the key to her power."

Derek was getting very dizzy now. "But...why...I..." The man was calmer now. "Why were you chosen? It's simple. You're the next generation of Decursia's descendants. It is your duty to protect the world with her shared power and continue your father's legacy. Unfortunately...that won't happen." The man's hand started glowing red and he reached for Derek's shoulder again. But, Derek was smarter this time. "No..I..." Derek's eyes started glowing. "You're not getting this power!"

His shackles glowed yellow and crumbled into dust. He charged into a wall and broke it open and saw the view. "No..." Derek was lost and there was no way back home. This prison was on an island in the middle of nowhere. The man cackled. "I had anticipated this situation. That's why I chose my most remote island." Both of the man's hands started glowing red and he charged at Derek. "I SEE NOW THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME TO DRAIN YOUR PASSED DOWN POWER! THEN, THE NEXT BEST THING IS FOR YOU TO MEET YOUR DEMISE!"

Derek started concentrating hard. He imagined his home and tried teleporting, but it didn't work. But, then he remembered. Home, thought Derek. His mother was gone. Her loving smile would no longer be there when he returned. That triggered something within him. The man an inch away, Derek teleported away from the man's clutches and to a place Derek called home.

I apologize for the short chapter. I have school now, so it will be hard to retain my usual activity on the forums. But, I'll try my best to work on this story! Comment below and leave suggestions if you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back