Sink the Most Navy Challenge Winners

Hi guys, hope it is ok for a new member of the forums to join in like this, but this is a letter I sent to Disney a bit earlier through their 'contact us' page. It's a bit long!!

Love, Maisy

Dear Sirs,
I am writing in relation to the recent ‘Sink the Most Navy’ competition. In I was successful in winning a spyglass, for which I am grateful but I was very upset on behalf of friends who I know worked extremely hard, gave up sleep, school and work, in order to take part who did not feature in the winners list.

Something is clearly wrong with the official count. ...

I believe that if Disney were to acknowledge that there has been an unintentional error and were to make up to those disappointed players (for example, might it be possible to extract from the players stats those who sailed for a certain number of hours over the 72 hour period) by giving a spyglass or some other reward, there would be gratitude and a new commitment to the game from some of its most loyal players.

Thank you for taking time to consider my letter.

That sounds really good, Maisy! You said it courteously (stating that they made mistakes but in a nice way), yet you presented the 'facts' (or at least based on your own counting - calculated on a reasonable basis) straightforwardly. Also you did ask them to take action to fix it.

I suggest all of you who would send emails to Disney Potco having these aspects that Maisy's letter has. Cussing them out would not get as welcoming attention as these kinds might have got.

Would it be dependent (ye think) if cannoneers had either low or high points placed upon their grapeshot?How about extra points placed upon "barrage?"
Here is basically what the skill does - When you click on it, a little open fire symbol appears over your ship health bar. This skill acts like open fire for only when contacting the sails. As Rai had said above, it only does a little damage better than open fire, if you were to use that on sails. And the biggest fail of "Wreck the Masts", is that is lasts 4 or 5 seconds only, which barely is enough for the ammo to get to the sail and count damage. Myself, and many others were expecting an overwhelming destruction of enemy sails, but it is nothing of the sort. "Nothing" really sums it up. It has nothing to do with broadsides, or barrage - It's for your gunners, but like I said, barely any time to make a dent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is basically what the skill does - When you click on it, a little open fire symbol appears over your ship health bar. This skill acts like open fire for only when contacting the sails. As Rai had said above, it only does a little damage better than open fire, if you were to use that on sails. And the biggest fail of "Wreck the Masts", is that is lasts 4 or 5 seconds only, which barely is enough for the ammo to get to the sail and count damage. Myself, and many others were expecting an overwhelming destruction of enemy sails, but it is nothing of the sort. "Nothing" really sums it up. It has nothing to do with broadsides, or barrage - It's for your gunners, but like I said, barely any time to make a dent.
That's all it does :confused:? No chain shots shooting out of your ship? All it is just like that Open Fire command... :/ I kinda feel that people have been cheated

What do you mean by "news tabs"?
Like this:
Sink_The_Most_Navy_Ships_Winners.png

..."Wreck the Masts", is that is lasts 4 or 5 seconds only, which barely is enough for the ammo to get to the sail and count damage...It has nothing to do with broadsides, or barrage - It's for your gunners, but like I said, barely any time to make a dent.
UGH...which only remains counter productive if ship LAG is an issue. *Also, this could provide just one more excuse for those players whom justified using the no-reload manipulation for cannons, although I certainly hope that it does not.

Hi everyone. I have had a rely to my letter to Disney and thought you might like to see it.

Love Maisy

Hello,

Thank you for writing in with your concerns and for your feedback regarding the Stop the Rising Red on the High Seas competition.

When it comes to our in-game challenges, we do not pull our tallies from the Leaderboard data. As we’ve posted before, the Leaderboard displays unfortunately experience ongoing accuracy issues.

This being said, I can confirm that we pull our challenge results directly from the game and they are reviewed and scrutinized heavily. The Leaderboards also do not analyze results based on competition specifics (in this case, only Navy ships sunk and not including Bounty Hunter ships of any kind). The Leaderboards show the entirety of all ships sunk.

Please be assured we have taken the necessary actions to ensure that the rightful winners are rewarded, and we do appreciate you contacting with your concerns.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Hi everyone. I have had a rely to my letter to Disney and thought you might like to see it.

Love Maisy

Hello,

Thank you for writing in with your concerns and for your feedback regarding the Stop the Rising Red on the High Seas competition.

When it comes to our in-game challenges, we do not pull our tallies from the Leaderboard data. As we’ve posted before, the Leaderboard displays unfortunately experience ongoing accuracy issues.

This being said, I can confirm that we pull our challenge results directly from the game and they are reviewed and scrutinized heavily. The Leaderboards also do not analyze results based on competition specifics (in this case, only Navy ships sunk and not including Bounty Hunter ships of any kind). The Leaderboards show the entirety of all ships sunk.

Please be assured we have taken the necessary actions to ensure that the rightful winners are rewarded, and we do appreciate you contacting with your concerns.

This is how I read this : Blah Blah Blah - We're avoiding the fact we messed up - Blah Blah. There is NO way that the other 3.5k I counted from the boards, we're EITC or hunters. I'm sorry, this isn't a truthful statement.

This is how I read this : Blah Blah Blah - We're avoiding the fact we messed up - Blah Blah. There is NO way that the other 3.5k I counted from the boards, we're EITC or hunters. I'm sorry, this isn't a truthful statement.
I completely agree here. The leaderboards showed me with roughly 11k - there is NO way that I sunk 3k extra ships. Sure I sunk the occasional EITC that got in the way, but I can probably count on my fingers how many times I did that. They just do not want to admit their flaw.

What does this say about the crew that I had aboard my ship? I only see two people on here that were with me - although I had many many others who stayed with me for hours on end. Where are they? Some sunk well over 2k ships with me, and yet they are not on here. We were going for Navy and Navy only. Either Disney pick and chose favorites, or their data is simply inaccurate, and they blatantly refuse to admit it.

Yes Disney, we can read in-between the lines. Give it up already.

Love Maisy

Hello,

Disney Support Service < Barrel of Monkeys

I got the exact same response as Maisy. What a bunch of silly nonsense. They think we are idiots, like I don't know approximately how many ships per hour I can sink when ranking. I know the leaderboards were very accurate those 3 days, I know I sunk over 10,000 NAVY ships those 3 days as a gunner and repairer and was actually at the helm for about 1,500 of those navy ships sunk.

I've also noticed another 50 comments or so on the grog blog in regards to this contest, and of course it's all positive remarks. They haven't posted one comment that mentions anything negative about our concerns etc. and I know they had to receive a lot of them. Gotta love some of these comments "Thank you POTCO for finding a way to make sure only those who were actually sinking ships got the credit and not those just standing around". I can't speak for everyone but that certainly wasn't the case for me and most of the crew on our ship.

Hello,

I just received my reply from Disney saying the EXACT same thing -_-

Well here goes nothing, never posted before. I am one of the many pirate/players that dedicated the vast majority of that weekend in pursuit of the Spyglass. I was credited with over 9000 ships sunk in the 3 day competition. Yet, due to some mysterious calculation that is known only to Disney, that total was not sufficient to place in the top 50 players. After a weekend of cooling off and seeing what might transpire I wrote to Disney. That letter has yet to garner a response and I do not anticipate that it will be anything more than the replies already posted on this thread.

I know that I am not alone in questioning the numbers on the top 50 list. I am quite certain based on the three day leaderboard totals that as few as ten and as many as twenty five players we omitted from the winner's circle. The means that not only did they not get the reward so justly earned as the same number of others did receive the prize. It is a shame that such a competition will go down as so flawed in its outcome.

I know exactly how my time was spent and what ships we sunk in the course of the weekend, so an attempt on their part to tell me otherwise is... frustrating. I know that is did not slip up and sink over 6500 hunters and EITC. The fact that a form response seems to be the method of reply indicates to me that our concerns are falling on deaf or uncaring ears. As a working professional that depends upon their reputation and accountability for performance, I could never attempt to whitewash such a situation. I have found that only through the admission of an error can forgiveness be offered. In this case it appears that none shall be forthcoming but then we have to remember that these developers live in a world of fairy dust and magic.

All that said, I did not threaten nor would I consider cancelling my membership. If I felt as if my individual subscription meant something to the POTCO staff I might have done so. However, the only person that might be affected by that action would be my son who would no longer be able to play in the manner he loves. The competition was an opportunity to become closer to my guild mates and friends alike. The camaraderie that came from the event was in itself the actual reward. As an adult little league coach and scout leader, I try to teach that the true reward is not in the winning and losing but rather the quality of the participation. I will continue to cheerfully play and enjoy the game as I did before. Perhaps they can make it up to me with a nice new World Eater Blade.

All that said, I did not threaten nor would I consider cancelling my membership. If I felt as if my individual subscription meant something to the POTCO staff I might have done so. However, the only person that might be affected by that action would be my son who would no longer be able to play in the manner he loves. The competition was an opportunity to become closer to my guild mates and friends alike. The camaraderie that came from the event was in itself the actual reward.

I agree with everything you said Griffin. I know for a fact my numbers are not correct, for 2 reasons:

1. I sailed with John Foulroberts the entire weekend, so all of my ships were also HIS ships. I did sleep a little longer than he did, maybe 4 hours more than he did over the 72 hour weekend, but no more than that. He came in second place, and others from our crew got the weapon, and I got nothing. They cannot claim I did not sink enough Navy and yet say that John, Mike, and the others did.

2. We shared positions on the ship - each of us taking turns steering and cannoneering, so they cannot claim that it was only the captain who got the credit. Additionally, it would make a liar out of their Game Master:
gmstates_zps613450e6.png

Despite all this frustration ( and the fact they have not yet answered any of my correspondence ) I enjoyed the time we spent with the guild. While we were sailing in the wee hours, trying to keep each other awake, we talked about how this event had brought us closer together as a guild family. Was the weapon worth it? No. Was the fellowship with my guildies? YES!! We survived over 65 hours of plundering, running from hunters, meeting people on the docks whose operators were just as blurry eyed as we were, enduring back pain, eye strain, cramping fingers, and endless pots of coffee.

It was one weekend I'll never forget and will always treasure.

Well, I received a response. I was only moderately pleased that my comments merits a letter beyond the form reply already posted. I don't know what to take from the response and I wish I had saved my original to them in order to provide more context for this reply. I have tried very hard to be fair to the Disney team as I believe that Disney as an organization has made the world a brighter place. That said, here is the letter:

Ahoy Eric,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate your attention to this matter and your
details about how the recent contest has played in to your experience.

I will be sure to pass this feedback to our management team so that there can be
a more detailed scope of how the contest has effected the Pirates Online
community.

At this time I am not able to comment specifically about how the data was
collected to indicate the results that have been posted on the Current News
Blog. What I can comment is that the Leaderboard results are not always accurate
and could cause conflict with totals that were accumulated during the contest
time.

If there are other players wishing to provide feedback, please encourage them to
use the Contact Us page on the official website to provide their experience to
us as well.

Sincerely,

Randy
Pirates of the Caribbean Online Member Services

They still make a nebulous reference to an error on the leader boards. I find this to be insulting and still a denial that many of us know we were on with crews that did win the award and played roles in those successes. However, my passion for their error has subsided. I think I will just type in the chat box, "Wreck the Masts!" and count to five as it appears that is about all the effect this item in fact does.

To all that played and knocked themselves out, you have my respect and congratulations regardless of where Disney placed you on the count list.

The fact that a form response seems to be the method of reply indicates to me that our concerns are falling on deaf or uncaring ears. As a working professional that depends upon their reputation and accountability for performance, I could never attempt to whitewash such a situation. I have found that only through the admission of an error can forgiveness be offered. In this case it appears that none shall be forthcoming but then we have to remember that these developers live in a world of fairy dust and magic.
This is exactly what "frustrates" me the most, about Disney/DIMG. They assume that since the majority of their player-base are childern & young adults, that they don't have to "own up"/take seriously/uphold accountability to the mistakes they either have or are currently making.

They forgot that their greatest investment is in people; POTCO subscribers/non-subscribers whom financially pay & enjoy their service. Once they turn their back upon this greatest investment, they compromise the perception, integrity, loyality, and quality of their brand.

Keep treating me like a nobody Disney/DIMG and as a "consumer," I will take my business elsewhere.

Back