Suggestion NPC Ship Crew

I think NPCs could use a lot more life breathed into them, but not like this. This idea encourages a solo experience, when the direction of every single Disney MMO was specifically to require human coordination and teamwork to overcome common goals. I would love to hear a discussion instead about ways in which the NPC interaction system could possibly be improved.

Of course, I don't mean to derail this thread. By all means, talk about the subject of the OP. I'm just giving my two cents here.

I think NPCs could use a lot more life breathed into them, but not like this. This idea encourages a solo experience, when the direction of every single Disney MMO was specifically to require human coordination and teamwork to overcome common goals. I would love to hear a discussion instead about ways in which the NPC interaction system could possibly be improved.

Of course, I don't mean to derail this thread. By all means, talk about the subject of the OP. I'm just giving my two cents here.
Outside of guilds, imo all quests have been solo experiences. One only looks for groups to make it easier and quicker for themselves and no quest I can recall benefited anyone else. Paying for a npc to perform a function is a very interesting idea.
Like having a minion who battles along side of you.

"I would love to hear a discussion instead about ways in which the NPC interaction system could possibly be improved." That should have it's own thread, not interrupting the OP thoughts. I would support buying a npc on my ship as I do not like opening my ship to the public.
Although the kick feature may have changed things for the better. Maybe the more you pay, the higher the ability of the cannoneer?

How accurate are the npcs? How much time will they help you? How much will they cost? What would happen if you use a group of npcs and someone aboards your ship who wants to level cannon but can't use a cannon because there aren't any available cannons?

I'm not a fan of this idea, I agree with what Deckshot said above. Having something like this would take away from players having to interact with other players and ruin the teamwork aspect of the game.

Not everyone whom sails does so/prefers to do so with a crew nor friends. Some players like to game alone and this was true even for players whom readily played POTCO.

How accurate are the npcs? How much time will they help you? How much will they cost? What would happen if you use a group of npcs and someone aboards your ship who wants to level cannon but can't use a cannon because there aren't any available cannons?

How accurate are the npcs? my guess is they would fire when ships are in range not even regular pirates are that accurate.

How much time will they help you? till you port or till a certain time limit given for the gold perchance for the npc expires.

How much will they cost? depending on the power of the npc.

What would happen if you use a group of npcs and someone aboards your ship who wants to level cannon but can't use a cannon because there aren't any available cannons? should be given an option to freely move npc to the cannon of your choice or remove completely.

If I chose to use a group of npc's, then logically I would not need to open my ship to public. nps's would not afk or bring a group of alts on my ship. I would not have anyone standing next to my wheel and steal it the instant I step away to repair because the other afk'rs are not repairing. Been there done that. Won't happen ever again. The OP had a very interesting idea that may get further consideration in the future.

@yourbot ... What would happen if you use a group of npcs and someone aboards your ship who wants to level cannon but can't use a cannon because there aren't any available cannons? should be given an option to freely move npc to the cannon of your choice or remove completely.
This ability should only be given to the captain explicitly. At no time should a random player be allowed to adjust the deck positions.

Last edited:
If I chose to use a group of npc's, then logically I would not need to open my ship to public. nps's would not afk or bring a group of alts on my ship. I would not have anyone standing next to my wheel and steal it the instant I step away to repair because the other akf'rs are not repairing. Been there done that. Won't happen ever again. The OP had a very interesting idea that may get further consideration in the future.

@yourbot ... What would happen if you use a group of npcs and someone aboards your ship who wants to level cannon but can't use a cannon because there aren't any available cannons? should be given an option to freely move npc to the cannon of your choice or remove completely.
This ability should only be given to the captain explicitly. At no time should a random player be allowed to adjust the deck positions.
I agree

I understand why a player has the ability to commander a ship if the captain dc's or goes missing. But that has been abused as well. Not so much any more, but it was out there. I don't see any way around a player taking over if the captain goes missing because you can't just have the ship float aimlessly. So, the community has to put up with abuse in this particular sense. It's unique to sailing.
But to buy your own crew if you choose to do so for your own pleasure and gain sounds like a cool idea and I don't see what you do with your personal time and ship should have any effect on any one else. My presence in the game as it is today has no actual bearing on a single other player. Should tlopo get more complicated I suppose that bridge will be crossed.

I can't think of a single endeavor at this time in game would take something away from another. Killing a boss, just makes someone wait until he/she spawns seconds later. EVERYTHING comes back or is there for the world. So you or I having a boatload of npc's during our session is NOT taking anything away from anyone else or detracting people from interfacing with others. Paying for npc's is one of those ideas that is "why not?" instead of 'shouldn't be'. It's all about having a choice and chance to play the way you want in different modes.

I'd also like to point out that they fixed the Traitor Ghost AI (somewhat) so they'll attack enemies now instead of you. And enemies will attack them back. It'd be great if we could hire crew members or something to help us take on bosses or something. I know that I would love to have one or two ally Ghosts to help me fight Cicatriz. It's hard to find groups fighting her.

Hi guys, just wanna chime in here and say that this sounds like an extremely good idea.

Sometimes you may not have guild members around, or maybe you want to sail alone sometimes.

Having an NPC mercenary crew around would allow for those.

Additionally, if you want to take on powerful enemy ships such as flagships, you can't do that alone. You need a crew.
Having an NPC crew of mercs would allow you to be even more versatile as a solo player.

I understand why a player has the ability to commander a ship if the captain dc's or goes missing. But that has been abused as well. Not so much any more, but it was out there. I don't see any way around a player taking over if the captain goes missing because you can't just have the ship float aimlessly. So, the community has to put up with abuse in this particular sense. It's unique to sailing.
But to buy your own crew if you choose to do so for your own pleasure and gain sounds like a cool idea and I don't see what you do with your personal time and ship should have any effect on any one else. My presence in the game as it is today has no actual bearing on a single other player. Should tlopo get more complicated I suppose that bridge will be crossed.

I can't think of a single endeavor at this time in game would take something away from another. Killing a boss, just makes someone wait until he/she spawns seconds later. EVERYTHING comes back or is there for the world. So you or I having a boatload of npc's during our session is NOT taking anything away from anyone else or detracting people from interfacing with others. Paying for npc's is one of those ideas that is "why not?" instead of 'shouldn't be'. It's all about having a choice and chance to play the way you want in different modes.

If the captain of the ship disconnects the npc crew should also and would have to get npc back next time they log in and if there is a npc crew member In a place where a player wants to lvl the normal player should still be able to boot npc from cannon

Last edited:
If the captain of the she disconnects the npc crew should also and would have to get npc back next time they log in and if there is a npc crew member I a place where a player wants to lvl the normal player should still be able to boot npc from cannon
Exactly. The owner of the ship should be able to dictate everything associated with NPC's including dismissal any time, or designating NPC's as allowed to captain should the owner dc on their own and wants to go back to the active ship. I can see that happening all the time. So, for example, you do not set 'NPC takeover' in ship setups, then as you say, all get booted and you just start the party over, otherwise have a chance to regain the ship fast and easy.
Edit; And also, NPC's should have the ability to join anytime just like regular pirates joining public ships. So your npc crew can stay full if desired. So, I see a forth entry on the dingy/ship join screen - NPC's. with a check mark.

I believe people play on their own ships with all their alts all along, so they have in effect been doing just this. However, I feel this idea of yours is very benefitial to players who don't use alts or don't want to allow random trolling. Multi accounts already do their own ship sailing.

Last edited:
I think this is a fine idea. It could be a bit problematic to implement though. I also think that there should be limits to the number you can have and to their accuracy, they should not be more accurate than an average player on cannon. How would you control what they shoot at is a concern, always shoot the closest enemy ship? I can see that it’s not a simple idea when you think about possible issues.

Back