Making TLOPO open source.

Should TLOPO go open source?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solomon Warmonger

Swashbuckler
Hi, I had a suggestion for the game.
I've been thinking, and it occurred to me, that the games directory has some key elements that are not entirely that difficult to edit. If the developers could allow us to modify in game elements, such as HUD, specific texture values, and other client side only rendered items, it could be beneficial too individual users that have the knowledge on how to do so. I think it could be beneficial, for the game development as a whole, and could also allow for rapid customization of a players individual preference of gameplay, or use of the client. Let me know if anyone else backs this idea, and if you have any suggestions if it were to happen.

Here is a list of specific software too make ease of access better, or easier modification for people without basic string editing knowledge.

Note: Some of these may not be compatible, or could cause a risk of safety for public use, due too the fact they can edit specific files, and could cause players too misuse functionality. This could be tweaked further, by adding in extra blocks too prevent this from occurring.

Best wishes,
Solomon Warmonger

I disagree, but not with the idea - just making it open-source. I'd like to propose an alternate idea: Content Packs.

Toontown has a similar deal - you can change individual game elements (resource-wise, not the code itself) and compile your changes into "content packs". It would allow creative pirates to change the game's look and feel to fit their own needs and even share these changes with the community to make the overall graphics a more enjoyable experience.

I disagree, but not with the idea - just making it open-source. I'd like to propose an alternate idea: Content Packs.

Toontown has a similar deal - you can change individual game elements (resource-wise, not the code itself) and compile your changes into "content packs". It would allow creative pirates to change the game's look and feel to fit their own needs and even share these changes with the community to make the overall graphics a more enjoyable experience.

I think that particular idea could for sure be used in further development of game features, it totally passed my mind about Content Packs. I'd be all for it.

Allowing people to reskin or rearrange their own HUD would be cool. Only issue would be "hacked clients" or illicit modding. A system like BattlEye would become inevitable.

Allowing people to reskin or rearrange their own HUD would be cool. Only issue would be "hacked clients" or illicit modding. A system like BattlEye would become inevitable.
I agree completely, I feel like with the correct implementation of some kind of anti cheat, it could be achieved. Although, I don't know if its that easy too port over such a mechanic too the current engine we run on.

I was a proponent of an open-source POTCO emulator at one point. That was when the community was much larger and did not face the threats that it does today.

These days, I think that having a potentially large number of private servers would only hurt the community by fragmenting it.

Also, any server could potentially make a mistake big enough to put all POTCO emulators on Disney's radar, bringing them to send a DMCA takedown notice.

Last edited:
I was a proponent of an open-source POTCO emulator at one point. That was when the community was much larger and did not face the threats that it does today.

These days, I think that having a potentially large number of private servers would only hurt the community by fragmenting it.

Also, any server could potentially make a mistake big enough to put all POTCO emulators on Disney's radar, bringing them to send a DMCA takedown notice.
That's actually a good point, didn't occur too me. It seems the public has spoken! Glad too hear everyone has different opinions.

Back