~ M E R M A I D ~

• Thread starter Shamus The Brute
  • Start date
S

Shamus The Brute

"Ahoy" :ahoy: & welcome everyone!
~ This thread is made for the purpose of having a serious discussion about the existence
(or non-existence) of M E R M A I D S ~
tumblr_m2lh06KDG61r0wijlo1_500.gif
Mates...
...do you believe in them?
mermaidx.jpg
tumblr_lpswneDpVl1qhwzwjo1_500.jpg
Before you answer this question ('seriously') for yourself, please take a moment to review the following videos. :popcorn:
:arrrrr: Me hearties...I have seen many things in my day but this documentary on
M E R M A I D has me "seriously" freaked out, lol.
For a clearer understanding (which will help you make up your 'own' mind) about Mermaids, please set aside some time to read for yourself on this link here about whether or not you believe M E R M A I D S are fact or fiction.
Up until this point, I have only "fallen in love" with Mermaids as a result of watching actress
- Daryl Hannah -
15358540.jpg
in the movie, "Splash," (also starring Tom Hanks & John Candy).
mermaid_splash.jpg
splash_darylhannah.jpg
splash-b.jpg
However now, I would have to say that perhaps M E R M A I D S exist (although 'more' solid evidence is needed). *In my opinion only, I feel that the ocean is just too big for any of us to fully understand what is living out there...& what isn't!
tumblr_lyb1b33kaH1qztsrto1_500.gif
Ridgeback-b.jpg
:D :fish::confused:

I think there is a possibility of mermaids, people say magic doesnt exist but if we exist thats magic!If an apple can grow on a tree that is magic,but we see it everday so we dont see it as magic, mermaids may exist!

Of course! I AM one... I just use a tank so full humans don't feel at disadvantage. ;] :fish:

In reality, I don't really think so. The part that I don't believe is the part where they are presented as somewhat human. I do, however, agree with your statement about the ocean being too big to know what's out there- there are always new discoveries being made. :)

Awesomely presented thread as always, Shamus! :woot:
P.s. Warn a person next time! That monster jumped out of nowhere and scared the scales right off of me! Haha

Watch the documentary.

I actually watched this before this thread was posted, and I've got to say, once you watch the full thing, it's hard not to believe it.

I believe ^^

I do not believe in these.......silly creatures you call mermaids. :pJoking, Joking (I know this is not serious) But just for the record, you couldn't really call me a believer.
Well, maybe, I guess the video does change your view a bit.

Agree with Zia, and with Shamus' statement "that the ocean is just too big to any of us to understand what's in it and what isn't!" But that is similar to other things, such us the space outside our planet is too big to understand what's in it and what isn't.

I missed the documentary, but if we talk about a "mermaid" as we know it (the fairy one - half human, half fish - the human part has a complete human identity and functions, and the fish part has a complete fish identity and functions), I don't believe it's real.

In my opinion only, the findings of the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) or US Navy or other scientists may 'look' like a fairy-tale mermaid, but I don't think they have part human identity and part animal identity. They probably included in the fauna world, because humans cannot live underwater - not with the human's breathing system. They may 'look' like humans but definitely are not half human).

Excerpt from http://press.discovery.com/ekits/monster-week-mermaids/press-release.html
... May 21 to May 28, Mermaids: The Body Found is a story about evolutionary possibility grounded in a radical scientific theory – the Aquatic Ape Theory, which claims that humans had an aquatic stage in our evolutionary past. ...

I have to be convinced first, how a human lung could transform/mutate in evolution to become something that can breathe underwater (gil or other?). Or this is some other type of sea mammals? If anything, whatever creature that is, might be just another form of sea creature, but not a mermaid.

Agree with Zia, and with Shamus' statement "that the ocean is just too big to any of us to understand what's in it and what isn't!" But that is similar to other things, such us the space outside our planet is too big to understand what's in it and what isn't.

I missed the documentary, but if we talk about a "mermaid" as we know it (the fairy one - half human, half fish - the human part has a complete human identity and functions, and the fish part has a complete fish identity and functions), I don't believe it's real.

In my opinion only, the findings of the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) or US Navy or other scientists may 'look' like a fairy-tale mermaid, but I don't think they have part human identity and part animal identity. They probably included in the fauna world, because humans cannot live underwater - not with the human's breathing system. They may 'look' like humans but definitely are not half human).

Excerpt from http://press.discovery.com/ekits/monster-week-mermaids/press-release.html
... May 21 to May 28, Mermaids: The Body Found is a story about evolutionary possibility grounded in a radical scientific theory – the Aquatic Ape Theory, which claims that humans had an aquatic stage in our evolutionary past. ...

I have to be convinced first, how a human lung could transform/mutate in evolution to become something that can breathe underwater (gil or other?). Or this is some other type of sea mammals? If anything, whatever creature that is, might be just another form of sea creature, but not a mermaid.
Yes a mammal cannot suddenly just evolve into a creature with scales. Also I agree that if the creature on the video is something, it is not a mermaid.

*I am "glad" you brought up the claim about the Aquatic Ape Theory - as I was kinda blown away :confused: by this theory as well.
Also I agree that if the creature on the video is something, it is not a mermaid.

The creature on the video is not real, as the documentary explains that it is based on a fictional representation of a few facts. In other words, the documentary shows computer generated "scenarios" based on evidence of what the 2 boys found on that beach (which had actually occurred).

*Another thing to keep in mind is that the "scientists" that directly concerned themselves into the investigation of what was found, claims that recordings do exist of some type of intellectual creature which closely resembles the language of the dolphin...but remains higher advanced than the dolphin's language & currently, remains UNKNOWN within the science/anthropology community.

Unfortunately, these recordings have been seized by the governments of these scientists which were willing to share their side of the story within the documentary.

- Cool thread Shamus! Not sure I believe in mermaids but I think there's a lot of unfound creatures in the sea.
- Cool mermaid Esme, heating up the waters lol.
- apples are MAGIC? I think not! :eek: I'm a magician, and I can't make apples grow on trees, those are miracles. I can't make a mermaid appear, if I could, that would be magic.

Those vids gave me more nightmares then I get most of the time, Lol

I really like the idea od mermaids being out there, but how deep do they go? I've heared miths that they go farther then the even sharks dare go, me thinks the Kraken has something to do with this..

:fish:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-mermaids-not-real-20120705,0,3534340.story
Hmmm (points to above link)...
*Well, the US government also said officially at one time that AREA 51 "does not" exist but then again, that lie kinda blew up in their face. :excited: Avast! The television documentary responsible for the purpose of this thread will be showing "tonight" (9-22-12; 'Thanksgiving night) on Animal Planet channel. :parrot:

*The documentary will be showing at both 9:00 p.m & 11:00 p.m (Eastern Standard Time, US).
:fish: will be showing "tonight" (9-22-12; 'Thanksgiving night) on Animal Planet channel. :parrot:
[/quote]
September 22? Ugh...lol. *I meant 11-22-12! :facepalm:
I don't mean to keep at ye mates on this whole chicken-of-the-sea/MERMAID thing but, soon on the "Animal Planet" channel (probably here in 20 minutes at time of this post) the showing of the show which I had seen and which inspired me to write this thread will begin. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to look at the ocean like space, a large very unexplored place. Of course the universe is much, much larger than the ocean but, both we know so little about.

Now about 5-8 years ago the Giant Squid was just a myth, people claimed to have seen it, and legends talked about it. Then sientists found a body of a Giant Squid.
images

Since then they have been trying to get the monster on camera, they said to recently captured it on video and will be released sometime this year. (http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/giant-squid-captured-on-video-for-first-time.html)

giantsquid.PNG
images

So, anything could be out there.;)

DISCLAIMER:
Do I believe in mermaids? no. lol

Back