The Chronicles of Gastro

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
The long-awaited story of my (POTCO) life has finally begun! Now, take a seat and enjoy the first chapter's n00bery and the story of my attraction to the game.

Chapter 1: The Commercial That Changed It All

I was only 10 at the time. I had no idea I was about to find my most played MMORPG of all time. I had been lying on the couch with remote controller in hand, trying to get to Cartoon Network from the news channel. All of a sudden, one channel away, I paused for a second. I was watching a man look at a skeletal figure with a telescope. Suddenly, the skeletal figure got up close to the man, who, to my delight, was revealed as Jack Sparrow! I had been listening to the commercial's advertising for a long time, but what really sold me was the promise of a true Pirates of the Caribbean adventure, as I had been a long-time fan of the films.

I quickly ran to my mom's room and tugged on her arm. "Mom, mom, can I use your e-mail address to sign up for a game?" My mom just looked at me for a second with that look, Don't you play enough games already? She groaned and said, "What is the game called?" Of course, with my little boy mind, I expected her to be impressed that it was a game based on a good film. "Pirates of the Caribbean Online!" My mom must have seen that I really wanted to play the game, so she groaned one more time and said, "Let's go." She walked to my room with me, which is where the family computer is located. (Of course, now that I built it, it also contains my gaming computer.)

We went to the advertised site, piratesonline.com, and clicked "Play Now." It didn't take long for us to sign up and before I knew it, we had received the verification e-mail and I was playing in my browser. I clicked "Create A Pirate" and I was immediately greeted by the face of Jack Sparrow. "Aren't you a sight? You look how I feel, mate. Here, pull yourself together." And, just like that, I was creating my main pirate that you all know as:

Gastro.

I don't know why I chose the name, honestly. I chose the first thing that came to my mind, and for whatever reason, the word "gastrointestinal" was that word. Of course, I cut "intestinal" just because it sounded weirder than I wanted my name. That, and there was the very likely chance that Disney would reject it.

Believe it or not, Gastro wasn't always a blonde. In fact, when he started out, I made him a brown-haired pirate with tied back hair. The only rags he carried around were his basic pirate clothes and a rusty cutlass. Far from my would-be modern pirate with blonde hair, an adventure coat, an ostrich hat, black clothes, and my trusty Barrucuda Blade.

When I first went outside the Rambleshack jail, I was confused on where to go. My first instinct was the Old Warehouse that, ironically enough, was where I was supposed to go. However, me being a n00b, I didn't know to press Shift to enter even though the game was telling me to. When I finally got my act together, I was excited to see William Turner, another one of my favorite characters. I took to the new sword-fighting technique quickly, as it seemed to be easy to me (and it was).

When I left the warehouse with my new rusty cutlass and Sweep skill, I was (please don't laugh :p) afraid of the skeletons that greeted me right outside. Then, I remembered: I had a cutlass. A rusty one, but who care? If it got the job done, it didn't matter one bit. I took it out and eliminated my fear by striking my enemies with it. The combos I had been taught worked wonders on the skeletons and I didn't miss or mistime one single blow. I quickly ran to the sight of the first ship I would be riding on, and waited for the game to take me on it.

When old Beck greeted me, I was relieved to be away from the threat of those skeletons. That didn't last, however, as Jolly Roger's at the time imposing and scary ship, approached us. I still remember the scream that intimidated me: "SPARROW!!!" As the skeletons climbed on board, I was scared. Would I have to face this seemingly powerful monster and his minions at the same time? Thankfully, that wasn't the case as he not-so-mercifully "spared" me. "Said I'LL be letting ye live...but the sharks may not be so charitable."

As I watched my pirate swim frantically away from the threat, I remember seeing the first ship that I had admired be sunk. "What are ye waiting for? SINK HER! NOW!!" I remember the red and black flashes of the Firebrand cannonballs being shot at the ship I thought I was safe on. When I saw the loading screen, I wondered to myself: "Is this the end of the beginning?" I would soon find out that this is not the end of the beginning. It is merely the beginning of the beginning.

This was great. I couldn't help but smile the whole time while reading this because I had a lot of the same feelings that you did. I truly miss Potco, more than I ever thought I would. And I would give anything to have those memories back, even for just one day :parrot:

This was great. I couldn't help but smile the whole time while reading this because I had a lot of the same feelings that you did. I truly miss Potco, more than I ever thought I would. And I would give anything to have those memories back, even for just one day :parrot:

Thanks! I'm going to try to chronicle everything I remember from when I played the game. (Which more than likely means there's going to be a lot of chapters. xD)

...When old Beck greeted me, I was relieved to be away from the threat of those skeletons. That didn't last, however, as Jolly Roger's at the time imposing and scary ship, approached us. I still remember the scream that intimidated me: "SPARROW!!!" As the skeletons climbed on board, I was scared. Would I have to face this seemingly powerful monster and his minions at the same time?
I can remember the very first time I allowed one of my boys (about the same age as you, at that time) to watch that particular cut-scene with Jolly Roger where he screams out Jack's name. Heck, that scream frightened me just about every time I watched it (to the point to where I had to get a grip on myself).

*It was blood curdling (shivers)!
...I wondered to myself: "Is this the end of the beginning?" I would soon find out that this is not the end of the beginning. It is merely the beginning of the beginning.
I really enjoy the way in which you put this. Aye, it was just the beginning...

Whoa, sorry about my lack of updates. School's been in the way. :excited: Chapter 2 should be up this weekend!

Whoa, sorry about my lack of updates. School's been in the way. :excited: Chapter 2 should be up this weekend!

Look what didn't happen! Me and my very inaccurate estimations! :p

Well, uh...after a long LOOOONG wait....

Chapter 2: The First Players

After the loading screen signaled my swim to Port Royal, I was amazed; it was my first island! (Well, other than Rambleshack) Undoubtedly, it was only the first of many to come but I still felt amazed! As I walked along the dock, I saw a player with his head hanging down with the words "AFK" over his head. I would later Google search this and find that this meant "away from keyboard." Ironically, though, it seemed he wasn't AFK as he spoke to me. These were the first words ever spoken to me, and undoubtedly almost the weirdest in the game:

"you play this game?" Not knowing what to say, I just thought logically and thought, Well, I'm playing it right now. "Um...yes?" It took ten seconds for me to get a response. "you play this game wow" I just decided I should ignore this weirdo and go straight ahead. Wait, I thought, what's my next quest? I looked to the bottom of the screen and saw my main mission: "Defeat 3 Undead Diggers in the graveyard before you visit Tia Dalma." Undead? I thought. I was still somewhat startled by the Undead, but I went anyway. On my way to where the quest marker on the mini-map pointed, I met a kind player.

I'm angry at myself for not remembering his name, but we'll just call him Bob for the sake of the story. Bob asked me: "you new here?" I responded yes without even thinking. I desperately wanted help in the graveyard. He responded, "lvl 1 huh? i guess that means you haven't done the undead quest yet" I replied, "I was actually on my way there." He kindly asked if I needed help. I said yes and we headed off to the graveyard. He was only a Level 10, but I was astounded by his power against my enemies. Bob wasn't even Unlimited Access, yet he was one of the most helpful people I met in the game. (Until, of course, the forums came into perspective.)

After we finally filled my quota, he offered more help. I gladly accepted as I was a beginner and I needed all the help I could get. He replied, "go into that tree" I was confused. "Tree? What tree?" He walked over and faced the torchlit tree tunnel. "that tree" I didn't understand why there would be a tree tunnel, but I followed his advice as the quest box told me to. When I walked in, I was confused as I lost control over my character. Then, I realized: it was another cutscene! I hadn't played any MMORPGs before so I was amazed at the simple inclusion of cutscenes. When Tia Dalma told me that the skeletons I killed were merely drops in the ocean, I was scared. Did this mean I'd have to face them everywhere? I was also intrigued by the sudden introduction of Beckett's Black Guard. Who were they?

But then I remembered Bob. What need did I have to be scared? As long as players like Bob existed, those skeletons would be walks in the park. They wouldn't be a threat as long as other players existed. As the cutscene finished, instead of feeling scared, I was feeling courageous. I wanted to take part in the story and overcome my fear of the skeletons. For most of my beginner life, this was my goal. When I was introduced to the mini-map categorization lesson, I took to it as quickly as anyone else probably did. Blue meant player, red meant enemy, green meant NPC, and crewmates were pink.

After I finally exited the tunnel, I was instructed to recover release orders from a Navy Cadet. Bob asked if I needed help one more time and I politely declined. He had helped enough already and I thought it was time for me to go on my own adventure alone. After he said okay, we parted ways and I actually saw him do a wave emote. I was refreshed and ready to start my adventure. I didn't know how to wave back, but I did say thank you.

Nevertheless, it was still only the beginning of the beginning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't worry, the story won't always go at this pace. After the tutorial story, I'll skip to the important and fun parts. More to come!....Whenever, I guess. xD

Back