Tales of the Caribbean

Captain Del

Pirate
Ahoy Pirates!

The Caribbean is home to plenty of skilled pirates; though the common misconception is that us pirates are illiterate or unknowledgeable (well, some of us are ;)) that couldn't be further than the truth! In my days in the Caribbean I have stumbled across plenty of pirates with a keen ability with the quill, and when they put it to use the things they come up with be out of this world! It's amazing how thoughtful and imaginative some of us pirates are; though some of us don't know that yet!

Whether you are a short-story writer who likes to put out small tales of humor and misadventure, or a grand writer of tales of adventure and heroism in epic sagas, every writer has a different style and touch to their works that adds that unique spark to everything they do. Every tale that is written within the Caribbean adds to a greater creative atmosphere that encourages players to write and explore their creativity, which is why I believe that every pirate who puts his or herself out there and writes something, whether a practiced veteran author or a first-time writer, is equally important and valuable as a writer in our fair Caribbean. And because of this, I want to start taking the time to celebrate all of you, the regular writers of the Caribbean!

I am going to begin a contest called Tales of the Caribbean, a monthly, multi-forum contest where pirates from all across the Caribbean can practice their writing skills and help enrich the creative atmosphere of the Caribbean. It will be a great opportunity for all of us to celebrate each other's work, and to get to know our fellow writers from across the Caribbean; in fact, it's something that I would encourage every pirate to get involved in at one time or another! Here's how it will work:

At the beginning of every month, I will post a "theme" for this month's contest. Pirates will then go forth and have until a date later that month to post their creation on the thread, following the theme of that month's contest. I will then ready every submission and see which one is able to best fit the theme, and the top three submissions from across the Caribbean will be recognized and posted across the Caribbean for all pirates to see!

Entries will be judged based on the following criteria:

1. Grammar and Punctuation. Entries need to be legible and easy to read so that every pirate is able to enjoy reading them. Minor spelling and punctuation mistakes are fine, but entries may not be considered if I find them hard to read.
2. Creativity! Stories should be well-thought out and original. The more diverse your story is from the other entries, the more I will be prone to choose it from the others!
3. How well it fits the theme. While I do encourage that you try to be creative as to how you approach the goal of that month's contest, remember that it still has to be relevant. If I ask you to write a story about bananas, don't give me a story about a chicken who became governor of Tortuga.

Rules When Entering:

1. Entries should be posted on the thread for the contest. It would be hard for me to look around every single thread that I am directed to, so please just post your entries on the contest thread :)
2. ONLY one entry per user! You are allowed to edit your post as much as you want up until the date the competition ends, but you are not allowed to submit more than that single entry! Don't try to submit multiple entries across different forums, either - Del's smarter than that ;)
3. Do not comment/critique another pirate's work! We're looking to encourage others to put themselves out there and write. Adding a comment like "Nice job! You just may want to try and..." is fine, but do NOT try and put others down!
4. Length of entries does not matter. Your entry could be a sentence long, or it could be forty pages - I'll be willing to read either. Just be aware that the length of your story could affect it's quality - if it's too short it might not have any substance, but if it's too longer it might feel drawn out. Just remember to keep it interesting.

This Month's Theme!

Write a backstory for one of the NPC's that you'll find in the Caribbean! Select one of the green names and tell me about their life; when they were born, where, how did they get to where they are, etc.​

Entries will be accepted between now until Wednesday, March 28th, at 11:59 PM Pacific. You have until then to post your entry below.

I hope you all choose to take part in this and have a grand time with it. Thanks, mates!

Happy writing!​

At the beginning of every month, I will post a "theme" for this month's contest. Pirates will then go forth and have until a date later that month to post their creation on the thread, following the theme of that month's contest. I will then ready every submission and see which one is able to best fit the theme, and the top three submissions from across the Caribbean will be recognized and posted across the Caribbean for all pirates to see!​

So...what ever happened with this? *It is a great idea...btw. :) Surely, we shall hear more about this "contest" in the near future (crosses fingers for 'luck').

Yep, yep, agree with others ... we have some stellar story tellers here, who probably just submit their stories that they have already posted here on the Forums, and we will see a tough competition!

Now that winter has approached and there is "less" chance of outdoor activity, it is of my opinion - Captain Del - that this idea of yours shall come to pass. :)

*Alas. It still remains a great idea!

Back