Sleeping Darkness

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
Hey, guys! Gassy here. Yeaaaah, the other stories were kind of a fail. I feel as if no one enjoyed them. Even JOTLOTB wasn't very good. That's actually the reason I quit writing the third one. So, since I wanna start fresh, I figured I'd make a remake of JOTLOTB and make it different. Enjoy! (Hopefully more than you did my other tales :)

Prologue
The World of the Caribbean, 1579

He gasped for breath. His skin was as red as the sunset from all of the blood on it from his stumbling. Still, he breathed heavily. His legs couldn't carry him much farther and if he tried, he would most likely kill himself. Finally, he let up. He stopped, breathing in the air and refreshing his legs while he still could. He looked behind him and saw nothing but the shadow the sun cast upon the desert. He grinned, collapsed on the ground, and started to rest. "Thank the heavens..."

He thanked those heavens a little too early. A mysterious figure's shadow was cast upon the old man's body. The old man, though frail, was very healthy. His skin was barely wrinkled, his bushy white beard was clean, and his hairy arms showed no veins. Unfortunately, he had made himself too recognizable. His dark blue ostrich hat and his brown trousers ultimately defined him as the man responsible for the release of Light: Dartham the Grievous.
Now, Dartham lived up to his nickname very well. Whenever something happened, even if it was happy, he would sob as if someone just died. No one knew why the crazy old man kept crying, but they knew one thing: they wanted to stay away from him. When he wasn't crying, he was mumbling statements about Darkness and Light. People stayed away from him, thinking it absurd that either of those old spirits would return.
The mysterious figure loomed over Dartham carefully, hoping not to awake the man. He reached out his hand slowly and meticulously, then...rested it on the old man's shoulder. Suddenly, Dartham's arm turned black and the dark color started to spread throughout his body. Finally, the dark color reached his head until everything was covered in absolute darkness. The old man's eyes turned blank, with no pupils or any signs of sight.
The mysterious figure walked away, with a dark orb floating in his hand. He crushed the orb and little streams like swaths flowed out of the balled fist. They raced into the air until they all separated and made a black lightning bolt strike near the figure. The figure now looked clear as the bolt made dark light strike around him. He looked like a man out of a nightmare.
He was a hooded man in a black coat with claws extending out of the end of his sleeve. There was a symbol on the front of the coat that had an X with a line struck through the middle. "Three Brightists, twenty to go." He stomped the ground and raised his arms in the air. A whirling dark vortex appeared around him and kept swirling. Finally, it closed in on him and the figure disappeared.

This is to give you guys an idea of the story. The real chapters are gonna be WAY longer. :D

Does anyone know how to make paragraphs neatly? I do that while writing my book in Word, but it irritates me because I can't do it well here.

EDIT: Well, I can, but when I post, it doesn't turn out like it should.

Does anyone know how to make paragraphs neatly? I do that while writing my book in Word, but it irritates me because I can't do it well here.

EDIT: Well, I can, but when I post, it doesn't turn out like it should.
Try to hit the enter key twice (i.e., double space) when it comes to separating paragraphs that don't separate properly here on the forums. Sometimes when I post a long thread, the same thing happens to me and when I go to edit, I remember to do this inorder to provide the proper spacing. :D

Chapter 1: Light and Darkness

Jonas yawned. He stretched and sat up, then wiped the drool off his face. He looked at the windows which provided the same pleasing view as always. The hot sun was out as always and the sandy beaches were no different; they were baking in the sun, so everyone had to wear sandals or boots since they didn't want to burn their feet. The wooden shacks were crooked, but they sufficed in this weather. Jonas slid off his bed and put on his regular robes. He put on a pair of boots and opened the door of his room. His mother was waiting for him, already cooking breakfast. "Hey, mom!" he said. "What's for breakfast?" His mom turned around, smiling. "We're having cooked fish, Jonas." Jonas loved his mother very much, as she had always taken care of him. When he was sick, she always there by his bedside. Her sparkling blue eyes and her tied back brown hair also reassured him. Today, she was wearing her casual clothes: a brown tunic and a pair of sandals. Jonas was a 14-year-old boy with short black hair and brown eyes. His apparel wasn't ugly, but wasn't special either. He wore a black buttoned shirt made of wool and buckled boots. Usually, he came home with dirt on his face in which he would be commanded to go to the nearest water spring outside of their home and wash himself and his face there. Sometimes, he would purposely come home dirty to get into the comfort of the water spring. He often worried his mother, but she still always let him have his fun.

He sat down at the wooden table and licked his lips, thirsty and hungry. Usually, before he woke up, his mother who was named Maria would go to a water spring and bucket the water. Then, she would walk back inside and cook the food. As she waited for Jonas, she usually swept the floor and wiped the table. She also occasionally got tea leaves to make better drinks.

As Maria set down the cooked fish, Jonas already started to wolf it up. Happy at the delicious breakfast, when Maria set down a cup full of pleasing liquid, Jonas beamed: It was tea from tea leaves. He picked up the cup and started slurping it up. "Ah.." he exclaimed in pleasure as he stopped sipping the tea. "Thanks, mom!" Maria smiled. "Yer welcome, Jonas."

He sat up and stretched one last time. "Well, mom, I'm gonna see what's goin' on today. Me mates might be waiting." Maria nodded and started sweeping the floor. Jonas opened the wooden door and stepped out into the sunlight. He started walking towards the dock to watch the sailors and Navy hoist their colors and start sailing into the horizon. Then, he was stopped by a Navy guard who held his arm out in front of Jonas. "Hey, what's yer problem?" Jonas asked angrily. "I'm just going to the docks!" The Navy man turned around aggressively. "Go back to your home, boy. Strange trouble happened just today around the time ye was asleep. Now, do as I command you. Go on!" He prodded Jonas with his bayonet.

"No!" protested Jonas. "Not until you tell me what's going on!" The guard sighed. "You're a delinquent boy, you know? Just like the rest of ye rats. But, if ye insist..." He took a deep breath. "It all started when Beckham, my watch partner, and I were sitting on our crates standing guard for the night. We saw a man in a black coat walking towards the Tortuga jail." He looked down. "We tried to stop the bilge rat, warned him that he was past curfew and that he needed to go back to the rat hole in which he lives." He shuddered. "Then, he looked at us menacingly. We couldn't see his face, but we could see his eyes glow yellow. Weird creatures appeared out of the ground...like little Rottweilers with sharp claws, a dark coloration, and yellow eyes. Then, they attacked and...we both blacked out. We're investigating, so nobody but sailors are allowed on the docks."

Jonas looked at him. "That's still not fair!" The guard looked at Jonas, very angrily this time. "Listen, boy! You should be thanking us for trying to keep ye safe! Now, go somewhere else before I throw ye in the gallows! LAST WARNING!" Jonas grunted in frustration and walked towards an archway that led to a green hill. He saw his friends sitting on it, laughing and talking. He smiled and started to walk up to them. Then, he stopped because of a voice.

"This world just doesn't have enough Darkness. Don't you agree?" Jonas looked around. "Where are you?" He kept looking. "Behind you," the voice said. Jonas turned behind him and saw a black coated man sitting on a rock. "It's you! The guy that guard was talking about!" The man nodded. "Correct. I am the 'guy' he was talking about." He got off the rock. "And, I know who you are. You're a...oh, why spoil the surprise, actually?" He chuckled. "See you very soon, Jonas." A dark vortex appeared around the man, then disappeared along with the man.

Jonas was left, curious about the man that had just spoken to him. Regardless, he shrugged and walked to his friends.

Gastro - I fixed the spacing as requested.

Thanks, Shamus! I appreciate it.Well, guys. Here it is. Chapter two. Before you read, I wanna give a little instruction for this chapter. I'm going to be using music to spice the story up so here's the video (well, music, really) we're using today.

Now, it should have started you off at 12:17. If not, go there then stop at 15:03. Don't start it yet, only start the video when you see this: [Audio] When it's supposed to end, you will see [Audio End].

Well, there you have it. You can start reading!

Chapter 2: Sam

[Audio] "What?!" snarled a man. "You mean to tell me you let the boy off just like that?!" The black coated man chuckled. "Hmph. Don't forget your part of the deal. That kid gets wiped off the face of the prophecy and I absorb his Brightist powers." The man growled. "I want that boy destroyed NOW!" Another voice spoke. "Silence!" The man calmed down, but snarled once more. The voice spoke again. "The council cannot have that boy finding Light again. We must release Darkness and have both spirits fight once more in order to gain control." A deep voice spoke. "But, what of the result? Could that not cause a catastrophic state?" The commanding voice spoke again. "Hm. It matters not. The clash between Light and Darkness is the only way to gain control of the world."

"Why do we care? When my powers finally come back, I could easily destroy both of those spirits with a snap of the finger." The commanding voice turned to the black coated man. "You'll do no such thing! Let us see how this boy's tale unfolds...I am sure this shall be interesting." [Audio End]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Jonas!" Sam ran up to Jonas in a hurry. "Guess what? I heard they're making a new sword in the Navy!" Jonas was surprised and happy. Him and Sam were close friends who were both interested in blades. "They call it the 'Iron Phoenix'. Sounds cool, right?" Jonas nodded. "That's great!" However, he had said this halfheartedly. Sam began to grow suspicious when Jonas didn't look at all pleased about the Iron Phoenix. "What's up? Didn't get yer share of tea today?" He chuckled a bit. Jonas just looked down. "Well...I did, but there's something else that's bothering me. I saw a man in a black coat who said some strange things to me. And before that, a Navy guard said a man in a black coat attacked him and his partner last night."

Sam looked puzzled. "Nah, ye must be losing yer marbles." But, Jonas wasn't so sure. He had known that he saw the man and he had also known that the Navy guard had mentioned the black coated man. Sam shook his head. "Whatever, mate. Hey, ever heard of the Tortuga Graveyard?" Jonas nodded. "Yeah, but only rumors. They say that no one who has entered there has returned alive. They also say the dead spirits in there watch over the graveyard and turn you undead if you disturb their home." Sam laughed. "You believe that? Those were stories made up by addle-minded nuts, Jonas!"

Jonas shrugged. "So, what about it?" Sam looked excited. "People are saying there are old and powerful blades there buried under the tombstones with their owners!" Jonas nearly passed out. "You mean to tell me--" Sam jumped up and down. "YEAH! We're gonna go into the graveyard, grab those blades, and then we'll be the envy of our mates!" Jonas sighed. "And, you call the people who made up the stories addle-minded nuts...but, this? This is just outright crazy!" Sam chuckled. "Don't try to tell me you're not SOMEWHAT tempted." Jonas sighed again. "Ah, blimey...fine. We can go there tonight. But, what about the guys who work there?" Sam laughed. "Oh, come on, do you really think anyone actually takes their shift there? Everyone's too afraid to set foot in that place!" Jonas gulped. "I can't believe I'm doing this."

While the two boys were talking, however, they had not noticed a certain man in a black coat leaning against the back of a tree, eavesdropping. "Hmph...young minds are too easily fooled." A dark vortex appeared around him again and started forming to teleport himself away. "Hm?" Jonas had noticed the black and purple vortex behind the tree. Then, he noticed the finger of a hand. "Hey...WAIT! YOU!" He started running towards the tree. "Wait! Jonas! What in the blazes--" When Jonas turned around the corner of the tree, all he saw was a man smirk and disappear in the vortex. Jonas was disappointed. "He got away again..." Sam walked up to him. "What in the name of the Overseers was that, Jonas?! Have ye completely lost yer mind?!"

Sam saw many people murmuring among themselves about the sudden burst of craziness from Jonas. "Aw, great...people heard AND saw. Now, we're gonna be the laughing stock of this place." Jonas looked down. "But...you saw him, right?" Sam shook his head. "I saw something black and purple, but nothing else." Jonas turned quickly. "Then, you saw him! He was right there! He--" Sam shook his head. "Jonas, there was nobody there. You gotta stop freaking people out."

He left Jonas, who was left staring at the tree that he saw the man behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back