Graphics Problem game not using very much gpu

DarkACB

Dockworker
not sure if this is just due to poor optimization, but i noticed when running the msi afterburner overlay, i would get cpu usage in the 20% values, but my gpu usage was almost always below 10%, generally at 8%. from what ive seen in other posts, the game simply isnt optimized, but after watching a comparison between the 64-bit test server and the 32-bit prod server, i noticed that the guy was getting ~15-20% gpu usage and ~30% cpu usage in the prod server. my question is this: is there anything i can do to solve the lack of gpu utilization, or will i just have to wait for the 64-bit version of the game to release?

my specs are as follows:
gtx 1060 3gb
intel core i7-7700k
16gb 2400mhz ram

the video im referencing:

yeah i think tlopo put out an update for test that helped with this issue a while back. I have no idea when its coming to the production branch of the game. I don't know if there's anything that you can do specifically to help it, my guess would be just to wait.
1582513882747.png

In addition to the above, we're going to be implementing multithreaded pipelining, a function of the Panda3D game engine. I'll borrow the explanation from our development channels and post it here.

The game engine is broken up into three parts:
  • App
    • The Python code that the TLOPO developers write for the game. It's the logic of the game.
  • Cull
    • Code that discovers 3D geometry (models, GUI)
  • Draw
    • Code that actually creates the image that you see in-game. It is drawing the geometry that the previous step, Cull, discovered.
These steps happen in the following process: App -> Cull -> Draw. These three steps keep happening over and over, in that same order, as you're playing the game.
1582514927896.png

With a multi-threaded pipeline, we can break these steps apart, like so:
1582514990062.png

With each step on its own thread, we have the ability to multitask and "anticipate" what needs to be loaded much more easily. Each stage can run concurrently, like so:
1582515043340.png

App code runs first, and while Cull is discovering the geometry for that App frame, App code can pull in the next bit of information. Draw will illustrate the result of Cull, and Cull can begin discovering the next scene already.

We've already begun testing this and we've seen HUGE gains in framerate. Right now, the game only makes use of one CPU core, and CPUs can only do one thing at a time (it may not appear so, but because processor refresh rates are so high, there is an illusion of many things happening in parallel).

not sure if this is just due to poor optimization, but i noticed when running the msi afterburner overlay, i would get cpu usage in the 20% values, but my gpu usage was almost always below 10%, generally at 8%. from what ive seen in other posts, the game simply isnt optimized, but after watching a comparison between the 64-bit test server and the 32-bit prod server, i noticed that the guy was getting ~15-20% gpu usage and ~30% cpu usage in the prod server. my question is this: is there anything i can do to solve the lack of gpu utilization, or will i just have to wait for the 64-bit version of the game to release?

my specs are as follows:
gtx 1060 3gb
intel core i7-7700k
16gb 2400mhz ram

the video im referencing:
I'm unsure of how I get so much GPU usage on my machine when playing TLOPO. But it doesn't seem to do much to help regardless. My CPU isn't the best, only a 4 core i5, so that could be why my utilization is higher there. My GPU is a 1070 though. My only guess is some of the settings I have enabled in-game or drivers, GPU settings, Nvidia control panel settings, etc. That being said though it doesn't seem to help at all. We all get horrible FPS and performance on the prod servers.

The video, while showing great improvements already, is a little outdated. There's already been a lot of other improvements on test since then. The multi-threaded pipeline being developed right now is sure to help out even more as John said above, when that's out on test I'll be sure to make a video on that as well.

Last edited:
Back